[Trlog] RE: Virtual PC & TR ?

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Wed Jan 12 13:20:15 EST 2005

I haven't kept up on computer stuff like I should have for the past several
years, but an interesting possibility was mentioned to me late yesterday
afternoon:  "Virtual PC" using a DOS "Emulation".

Has anyone tried this, or know if it would work?

Alarmingly, I also just discovered that the new Dell D600 Latitude notebook
shipped yesterday does NOT have a PS/2 port on it.  Who would have
thought?  Since many of the newer notebooks have no serial port & no
parallel port (not good for contest logging software), it didn't even cross
my mind that they would have ditched the PS/2 (Mouse/Keyboard)
port.   ARRRGGGHHHHH.

I did order the Expansion System (a/k/a Docking Station) 'cuz it will
enable me to add more serial/parallel ports via a PCI card for home station
use...and that does have a PS/2 port or two on it.  However, for single
radio X-pedition, field day, IOTA stuff, I'd prefer not to have to haul
that extra item around.

My understanding is that there are USB to PS/2 adaptors available, but the
$64,000 question is would something like this work with TR in a DOS
mode?  My suspicions are... "No".  My external X-Keys sticks, keypad and
footswitch with TR-related Macros plug MUST into the PS/2 port.  If a USB
to PS/2 adaptor widget won't work on the standalone notebook, I'll most
likely return the D600 to Dell and resume my quest for a workable
configuration.

Tnx much for any clarity & 73...

Rick, K6VVA