[Trlog] Installing DOS on a USB memory Stick

kd4d at comcast.net kd4d at comcast.net
Mon Jan 24 13:07:16 EST 2005

Good afternoon, all:

I have written a first draft of a procedure to install DOS on a USB
memory stick.  The key to doing it the easy way is to have a BIOS
in your computer (nothing whatsoever to do with the operating
system or W\indows XP or anything) which supports booting from
a USB mass storage device.

It is possible to get all of the required files from the web, but you
do need a license to run legally run DOS on your computer.

In order to easily install the necessary operating system files,
this procedure requires using a floppy disk drive to boot DOS.
I also have a procedure to create a custom DOS boot CD.  If
anyone needs that, let me know.

I'd like to get some feedback on this and then see if we can
put it on the web somewhere.  If anyone has a new computer,
with a BIOS that supports booting from a USB stick, and is willing
to do this, let me know and I'll send it to you.  This is a small
(abnout 180KByte) pdf now.

This DOES NOT damage the USB stick in any way.  You can still
use the USB stick normally after DOS is installed.  In fact, I
use Windows to install updated programs, cty.dat, and master.dta
files directly on the DOS USB stick!

This same procedure can be used to install DOS on a disk partition.

Send me an e-mail if you are willing to test it and provide feedback
or if you jsut want a copy.

73,

Mark, KD4D