[Trlog] Serial Port Gone!

Dale Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Sun Jul 31 12:32:08 EDT 2005

I guess I don't know as much about computers as I thought...

Sometime ago, I turned in a my desktop (not-radio-desk) Gateway computer for
service (Harddrive problems) which they fixed.  However, on putting the
computer back on the computer desk, I found that one of the two serial ports
was no longer being recognized by the system.  I should have taken it back
immediately, but I didn't.  The loss of the 2nd serial port was not that
much of a problem as I had a USB port available and the device that used the
serial port was also USB-capable.

But, now, that computer has been replaced by a speedier, bigger and,
hopefully, more stable computer, making it eligible to replace my old P100
radio computer.

I have had no luck getting the Gateway's second serial port to work.  This
is essential for SO2R, of course, and without it, I may as well stay with
the P100.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I might get the second serial port
restored to normal service?

Thanks and 73,

Dale, kg5u