[Trlog] Serial Port Gone!

Steve London n2ic at arrl.net
Sun Jul 31 19:37:55 EDT 2005

This is slightly off-topic, but Dale's posting started me thinking and asking
questions ...

While Mark, KD4D, has done a great job in documenting how to easily set up a
dual-boot, Windows/DOS system (as well as use USB thumb drives ...) so that we
can continue to run TRLog, there's a more basic problem that is pushing TRLog
towards obsolescence.

How are folks dealing with newer PC's that have only USB interfaces and few (if
any) PCI expansion slots ?  DOS certainly doesn't speak USB, although there are
a few special-purpose USB DOS drivers out there on the internet. None of the USB
DOS drivers support virtual COM ports, like the Windows-based USB-to-serial port
boxes that are readily available. And what about parallel ports for controlling
bandpass filters, etc. with TRLog ?  Virtually all of the new printers on the
market speak only USB. Thus, I see parallel ports completely disappearing from
PC's, if they haven't already. Is the answer something like "only buy PC's with
lots of expansion slots, and cross your fingers that the surplus market
continues to make serial and parallel ports available" ?

This seems vaguely dissatisfying. We're starting to see Windows-based contest
software that speaks USB to external devices, along with standalone
USB-to-many-serial-and-parallel port boxes. Win-Test and EZMaster come to mind,
although I see that TLF (a Linux-based TRLog clone) now supports USB.

Hopefully, someone will tell me I'm off my rocker, and there are answers to
these issues for TRLog.