[Trlog] Comments after HC8N

Tree tree at kkn.net
Tue Dec 5 13:12:59 EST 2006

All-

I wanted to pass a few comments along after my operation at HC8N.

1. There were some bugs I experienced - similar to the ones shared on the
reflector.  I fixed most of them while down at HC8N - and will put them
into a relase here soon.

2. The K1EA network continues to work very well.  We actually had two
stations (20 and 40 meters) setup with TR and the others running CT both
before and during the contest.  I did find out that it didn't work until
I assigned an ID character - so I will improve the checking for that case.

The only trick is that if you log a QSO and edit it afterwards, the edits
will not be sent to the network.  So - it is best not to log the QSO until
you are really sure of everything.

There are a number of utilities I wrote to help merge the logs - and convert
from Cabrillo or .ALL to .DAT files.  Also the Cabrillo Merge command in POST
seemed to be broken and it will get fixed.  I'll put all of these little
programs into POST for future use.

3. During the contest, I used TR in "protected" mode - which allows for use
of extended memory.  This resulted in tons of free memory for working QSOs.
I did find a couple of cases of un-initialized pointers being referenced in
this mode.  The memory manager is more picky in this mode and it will find
things that might not normally create a problem.

There were one or two other hang modes that I still need to debug in this
mode.  They happened on one computer when we had about 15K QSOs in the log.

I am thinking that if I get those debugged, that I will distribute the program
in protected mode from now on.  I doubt many people are using the program on
computers that only have 640K of memory anymore.

4. Many thanks to Ron, KK1L, for "coming out of retirement" to help with a
few issues on the list while I was out of touch.

5. W4PA sent me an Orion that was waiting for me when I got back.  I will
open it up soon and work to debug my 56K baud problem.  This will hoepfully
solve the problem for the other 56K baud radios as well.

73 Tree