[Trlog] CTY.DAT

Ed Muns w0yk at msn.com
Tue Oct 28 18:39:45 EDT 2008

During CQWW SSB last weekend, I noticed that TR-Log wasn't recognizing any
of the specific call sign entries in CTY.DAT.  For example, it didn't know
the zone or country for TO4X and TO8Z, yet these were both in the latest
CTY.DAT.  I learned that in June 2008 the CTY.DAT format changed to add a
'=' in front of every call sign and this keeps TR-Log from using the call
sign.  Doing a global delete of all the '=' characters got things working
again ... BUT there are now call signs like 'K6Y' in Guam in CTY.DAT so that
any call sign beginning with 'K6Y' will come up as Guam and Zone 27.  So,
it's a trade-off of which issue you want to tolerate.  My rationale is that
I'd rather have the unknown countries identified, e.g., TO8Z, and visually
catch the rare cases where the 'K6Y' CTY.DAT entry will cause K6YT to come
up as Guam in Zone 27.

73,
Ed - W0YK