[Trlog] Ports puzzle

Robert Brandon rb at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 12 13:13:49 PST 2011

I've got a machine running Window 98.  I added a couple of PCI serial ports
with a Lava card some time ago, and they work great with the SETCOMM
command.

Now I've just added a parallel port card, also PCI.  Windows 98 (GUI) now
sees everything.  I can shell out to a command prompt and TR PORTS sees the
new LPT port.

But adding that parallel port has somehow broken the Lava card serial ports.
It's broken even if I boot to command prompt only and thereby don't load the
new parallel port driver.

Any theories or clever workaround ideas?

Thanks,
Robert K5PI