[UK-CONTEST] GW3NJW Eu Sprint

Richard Newstead g3cwi at tesco.net
Sun Apr 21 05:56:32 EDT 2002

Dave said "Just get in touch."

You have missed the point Dave. I take a passing interest in contests.
Most take nearly none. If the rules are so odd that it is unclear
whether I am helping or hindering, most polite people (like me) will
simply leave the "contesters" alone to play. If it is not obvious to
most people what is actually happening within a few seconds they will
simple loose interest and you have lost them.

I am not alone in this either. I listened for a while to a station in
the sprint calling CQ sprint. He managed to completely confuse several G
stations who called him as he bobbed about the band like a demented
bumble-bee. How would anyone without a keen interest and access to the
internet even get to know about the rules?

The "user interface" of contests needs to be pretty obvious if you wish
to attract many casual callers - remember that the newer amateurs have
not listened for many years and are often reluctant to call.

Just a thought!

73

Richard Newstead, G3CWI
Buy and sell  ham gear online at The Amazing Online Flea Market
http://www.qsl.net/g3cwi