[UK-CONTEST] TS930 PIEXX uP board

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Wed Aug 28 02:00:19 EDT 2002

Hi Chris

I just bought my PIEXX board so assume it is the "up to the minute" version.
I quite like the idea of deductive mode reporting based on frequency that
would work 99% of the time for me too.  This board doesn't do that though.
What it does do is return the last mode command received and always defaults
on power up to SSB  GGrrrrrr!

What I have to do, is pick up a CW spot in DX4WIN to force the PIEXX to
start returning CW as the current mode.  It works but I have to confess it's
a bit of a niggle.  Now if it defaulted to CW, that would be sheer
sophistication.

The mod sheet Dave Leeson W6NL has produced is worth a read.  I'm sure
you'll find it with a Google search on "W6NL TS930".  A good idea to get rid
of some of that heat and use modern regulators.  Of course if you want to
mount DB9s for serial and band data you have some filing to do!  I used an
Abra file to make the holes.  It wasn't too painful and took about 1/2 an
hour in my extensive workshop on the back step.

For the strange faults you have, I would recommend cleaning all the plug in
connectors.  That is the most likely cause of the problems.  Again this is
referred to by Dave Leeson.  He refurbed and PIEXXed half a dozen 930s for
HC8N.

Good luck.

See you at Windsor.

Bob 5B4AGN, P3F, ZC4ZM