[UK-CONTEST] IOTA G0MTN SO12Mixed LP Unassisted

Cooper Stewart coopers at odl.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 06:28:26 EDT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Volante [mailto:lee at g0mtn.freeserve.co.uk]
Sent: 01 January 1988 00:39
To: uk-contest at contesting.com
Subject: [UK-CONTEST] IOTA G0MTN SO12Mixed LP Unassisted

Lee said...

>The only grumble I have is the same as last year:  Stations running a
pileup
>who do not give their call time after time - I've not got time to listen to
>these pileups just waiting for a callsign !

The IOTA contest seems particularly bad for this. I know there are subtle
benefits to a pile up operator in not giving your call every 'QSO', but 7, 8
or more Q's without identification is ridiculous. This year I decided to
call these offending stations anyway, instead of wasting my time waiting.
Three responded with "We've worked before", to which I respond - "Well give
your call and I'll know who you are". This may not work, but it makes me
feel better!

My IOTA 'story' may be some time coming as I had a problem with logging
software and it may take some considerable time to sort out. I networked 2
PC's (using SO2R). So, what happens when a Q on the right PC doesn't get
transferred to the log file on the left PC? In a non serial numbered contest
you can 'merge'. What if (as in IOTA) there are serial numbers? Suffice to
say that conditions were so bad, when combined with my computer induced
depression, I considered taking a 3 hour sleep break during the night even
though I wasn't tired. The UK north/south divide in propagation is huge, and
I'll be interested to see the other GM's comments.

73
Stewart
GM4AFF as GM0F