[UK-CONTEST] IOTA G3TXF CW Assisted

Nigel Cawthorne G3TXF at compuserve.com
Mon Jul 29 18:20:40 EDT 2002

G3TXF : CW Assisted [24hr, High Power]

Overall score [2.0m] about the same as last year but with
10m down and 80m up. Of the 1,250 CW QSOs (last year
1,221) 387 were QSOs with IOTAs (inc EU005). The total
number of different IOTAs worked on CW was 111.

These 111different IOTAs break down into:
AF: 3, AN: 1, AS: 8, EU: 69, NA: 20, OC: 4 and SA: 6

This year's Multiplier was 264, just 10 less than last year's 274,
with the band differences (this year compared to last year)
being  80m: +20, 40m: -6, 20m: +3, 15m: -16 and 10m: -11.

The virtual total absence of DX on 10m was only partially
compensated for by the odd burst of short-skip into various
parts of EU.

The Cluster was running in the shack most of the time, except
when transmitting on 40m or 80m which, for some reason,
caused the telephone-link/modem/Cluster access to crash.
[Something to do with my LF ants being not far away from the
overhead telephone cables here in N. Devon, I suspect!]

Overall Contest activity was excellent. Don XTT's estimate of
there being "200+" IOTAs being active is an indication of the
continually growing level of interest in this 'major' Contest..

It would be interesting to know the number of Mix-Mode/IOTA stations
that only dip into CW in order to call/work mults, and hence never
or hardly ever 'run CW'. If this is the case, as I suspect it is, then
would it be an "IOTA heresy" to suggest that there might be a
higher points score (say 6/30) for CW QSOs than for SSB QSOs?

A great contest!

73 - Nigel G3TXF