[UK-CONTEST] M0BEW - IOTA 2002

Tim-M5ACC m5acc at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 18:25:44 EDT 2002

  Band     CW   PH     Total  Mul
   80M      0       0        0        0
   40M     222   156    378    50
   20M     641   485    1126  96
   15M     100   28      128    29
   10M      0       3        3        3
------------------------------------
 Total       963   672   1635  178
 Total Score = 1.339.272

COMMENTS :
Back on the M0BEW call for this one.
To cut a long story sort,
I received a renewal letter for my licence a few weeks ago but for the M0
call.
I called to RA to inform them they had made a mistake, I explained the
situation last year and the change over of calls and they had no record of
it, the details for my M5 call didn't even exist !
I was then told again that couldn't have been possible as I wasn't allowed
to change/choose callsigns blah blah blah...
I informed PK at RSGB HQ straight afterwards to see what had happened, who
then contacted the RA.
That was 2 weeks ago, I called the RSGB again Friday, and so far the RA
haven't even bothered to return his call.
So it would seem as far as the RA are concerned for the last 9 months or so
I have been a pirate as I have been using the wrong callsign ... (for
information, during the last 9 months I made just over 23,000 qso's)
So seeing as I had spoke to the RA on the phone and now had a validation
document clearly stating what my call was I really had no choice but to
revert back to M0BEW.

Anyway,
Great fun giving the EU5 out to the folks.
Rates were superb, I found cw to be more productive than phone this year, I
found the opposite last year if I remember.
First few hours at the beginning were 100+'s slowly falling off into the
70's as the afternoon wore on.
Superb start on 40m cw, made 130q's in the first hour there, the second hour
was looking like it was going the same way but someone dropped 250hz above
me and nicked my freq and the rate dropped right off, they must not of been
hearing my feeble signal up there or they have some awesome filtering. I did
think it was strange, they were very loud and we hadn't even worked each
other on cw yet ..
Ahhh well, 'All's fair in love and war(contesting)'   GL lads.

Now Lee I had written most of this out before you posted and I've just read
your post on to run or not to run.
I think the rest here speaks for itself.

Congrats to the scores posted up so far, there are some very tasty mult
totals.
I didn't really bother chasing mults down, I was having a great time working
the rate. I only looked around if the rate dropped low and I got bored.
I must say though the mult factor is such a very important factor to this
particular contest, certainly a lot more then any other I can think of.
In fact I was quite surprised, during the 'slow hours' for me during Sunday
morning when everyone was on 15m I made some rough calculations.
At that present time with my present totals I worked out,
 9 mults = 100,000 points
176 q's = 100,000 points.
With a rate of 50/h which is what I was running at during the later hours,
the options are, run for the next 3 hours or spend the next 3 hours finding
9 q's !!!!
That is AMAZING.
The scope for strategy or SO2R is vast.

It felt like a great contest.
The pre contest 'buzz' was up-beat with all the Announced Operations.
Any contest where I get 4 100+ q/hours is all right by me. I might want to
pay attention to the scoring system though if I want to figure in the line
scores :-)
ahhh who cares.... qrz and more DL, OK, SP's plz?

Tim - What ever my callsign is these days