[UK-CONTEST] Re: IOTA Software

Andy Cook, G4PIQ g4piq at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 30 09:23:00 EDT 2002

Now - I didn't run more than 1 PC this time, but have done in the past and
can thoroughly recommend TR.....! Seriously - it handles the network stuff
OK and buffers stuff so that if you loose the network when it reconnects
everything will catch up. What it doesn't do is handle editing of previous
QSOs across the network, or handle the ALT-G and packet stuff as well as CT,
so I actually prefer CT for big multi-op stuff, but CT doesn't seem to
exactly have IOTA implemented perfectly.

I agree that the rules need to consider the needs of the non-IOTA community
to dispell the myth that the contest is purely about reminding everyone that
the UK is an island (amusing quote from a French station on 3830!) I think
allocating France a special IOTA of EU005e (Empire) for France should work
well.  Again - more seriously - not sure what the answer to this is, but
there are some rumblings that the contest is boring for non-IOTA stations.
It probably means allowing non-IOTA to non-IOTA QSOs for 3 points - I
wouldn't have a problem with that and I don't think it would significantly
skew the character of the contest since the need to work IOTAs for mults is
so strong.

Andy