[UK-CONTEST] GQ0DVJ Jubilee SOU summary

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Sun Jun 9 13:10:05 EDT 2002

Interesting to read the reports on this one so far.  Here's my 2p from a
little station...

Callsign      : GQ0DVJ
Claimed Score : 6300

Contest    :  Jubilee Contest 2002
Date(s)    :  8/9 June 2002
Mode       :  Mixed
Op            :  Single Op
Section    :  (a) Single Operator Unassisted

                 160m  80m  40m  20m  15m  10m  Total

     Valid QSOs:    0    0    3   69   93   15   180
   Total Points:    0    0   15  345  465   75   900
    Total Mults:    0    0    1    6    0    0     7

        CW QSOs:    0    0    3   26   87   12   128
       SSB QSOs:    0    0    0   43    6    3    52

       CW Mults:    0    0    1    2    0    0     3
      SSB Mults:    0    0    0    4    0    0     4

      CW Points:    0    0   15  130  435   60   640
     SSB Points:    0    0    0  215   30   15   260

TX/RX      : Yaesu FT100
Power o/p  : 100 watts
Antennas   : MQ1 Mini Beam
Operator   : G0DVJ

Comments   : Lack of DX Commonwealth Mults heard.
Comments   : GQ prefix made it busy.  Good fun.
Comments   : Managed about 5.5 hours in all.

Of course, my home station as used is not really setup for DX/contesting
so a contest with only 2 European multipliers (9H, ZB) was always going
to be hard to score in from here.   I did however work plenty of W's and
JA etc. and regularly have a ZL sked, so was interested to read of other
bigger stations reporting a lack of VK/ZL multipliers active.
Disappointed not to hear Dez, Peter and the other UK overseas stations
here though.
The GQ prefix was responsible for keeping even small stations like mine
busy on a run frequency IMHO.
Suppose I'd better get ready for the GQ QSL effort now!
Would have preferred to be able to work UK stations for points or mults
(i.e. for something!) personally.
Perhaps the adjudicators could eventually report back how many of the
possible Commonwealth Call Areas were logged (by anyone!).
Only managed the 5.5 hours or so around other things mainly because of
doing NFD last weekend and needing to accommodate other domestic demands
this week.
Much more activity on CW for me too in this one, though I am not sure we
should dismiss mixed mode next time because of that (as I think some
have suggested).
Perhaps the scoring admin software for such contests could have a
post-contest option of re-scoring a mixed mode/(band) entry as single
mode/(band) (and auto generate a separate checklog for the discounted
QSOs etc.) for those cases like yesterday where a number of us start out
with mixed and then discover that it was really only worth doing CW!
Would at least encourage people to give points away on all modes/bands
even if they know they'll only be competitive on one!   Or is the
consensus that part of the entry strategy is to choose your modes/bands
beforehand and stick to it?  Discuss!  (preferably under a new subject
thread!)

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ  aka GQ0DVJ