[UK-CONTEST] GW3NJW Jubilee SOCW

Clive Whelan clive at gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 13:22:13 EDT 2002

            RSGB Jubilee Contest

Call: GW3NJW
Operator(s): GW3NJW
Station: GW3NJW

Class: SOCW HP
QTH:

Operating Time (hrs): ca. 21. Excuses, feeding dogs, feeding
operator, bidding on ebay when the rate was low.

Radios: SO2R

   80:   52     4
   40:  248     7
   20:  365    18
   15:  359    16
   10:  128     6
-------------------
Total: 1152    51  Total Score = 293,760

Club:

Comments:

Tough going with verticals and wire as usual, real hair shirt
stuff in this one.
Owing to the paucity of Commonwealth mults., scope for SO2R was
very limited indeed.80m was almost unusable because of the QRN
levels, and 40m darkness paths are rather limited at this time
of the year.10m poor as always in midsummer.
Hopefully a calendar shift would address some of these issues
for future events

Support from the Commonwealth was very poor. From the U.S. , it
was at least as good as could be expected, given the well known
N.I.H. syndrome. From Europe and Asia support was magnificent
surpassing any expectations that I might have had.
Difficult to assess G activity from my own perspective, but
probably a lot better than the usual apathy.

It seems therefore that the RSGB publicity machine has done a
good job in promoting a very promising event. However, very
clearly the ( ex U.K.) Commonwealth needs to consider its
position carefully if this event is to succeed further than the
Golden Jubilee year.

Although it was distinctly chilly for June- about 10C at night-
my small shack soon ramped up to 25C with two rigs and amps
running. Thus the window was open all night. At about 04:00
local I became concerned at a squeek or something coming from
the computer or the FL2100Z. After about 5 minutes taking the
cans on and off, I discovered that it was the dawn chorus
outside! Sort of puts things into perspective, when the rate is
a low and you've just missed a mult..

Most notable DX was R1ANF/VP8 on 28Mhz.

Run Rig
_______
TS870, Alpha 78, Butternut HF9Vx2

Mult rig
_________
TS870, FL2100Z, 212ft inverted vee at 30 ft  in centre (DX88 not
used)

Writelog 10.3x
W5XD keyer/SO2R box

Oh did I mention, I was in the tower challenged, jeans and
sloppy Joe, full Monty RAE and Morse test, class A licence
section. Shurely *this* deserves a certificate or even a trophy.
Aw c'mon.

73

Clive
GW3NJW