[UK-CONTEST] Jubilee contest GM4YXI

Keith Kerr pat058 at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Jun 12 10:32:03 EDT 2002

Various work and other commitments meant very limited
participation in this one which, on reflection, was a pity
since I enjoyed the very brief spell I had. I think this
contest has potential but needs some (many?) changes.

Conditions were pretty grim as far as I could tell. Managed
one hour 16-17z on Saturday and the last 3 hours on Sunday.
Things got very slow during the last hour Sunday but
otherwise some reasonable rate was around, though DX was in
short supply.

GM4YXI SOHP SSB

10m  43Q    2  Mult(!)
15m 235Q    11 Mult
20m 112Q    8  Mult

	390-2 dupes x 5 x 21 = 40740

I support the suggestion that something needs to be done
about the multiplyer availability. At the very least, the
UK DXCC entities must count, if not DXCC+call no or even
prefixes. It was ludicrous to have all UK counting as one
mult. I also think some form of inter UK QSO should be
allowed. Even in 4 hours of operating I was called by MANY
G stations whom I had to thank, give a report but neither
log nor score. This would have been frustrating had I been
in this one seriously and must have seemed odd to those on
the receiving end of my apology. I also think this may not
be very productive in recruiting new contesters. Many of
the people calling me were M3's and the like. Surely we
must be inclusive, not exclusive.

Which brings me to my second(?)point. This contest should
NOT become a single mode affair. It should be mixed mode,
but with CW only or SSB only sections for those who prefer
that BUT, in mixed mode I believe that it should be
possible to work the station on the same band in both
modes, INCLUDING for multiplier credit....WHY NOT? I
discussed the contest and what might happen, with Chris
GM3WOJ, before the event and I anticipated that there would
be a dearth of mult activity on SSB, expecting the BERU
influence to hold sway on CW. In the UK that seems to have
been the case but I get the impression that even on CW, the
DX mults were not much in evidence.  Sad though it may be,
the lack of any activity, at any time lately, from many
Commonwealth entities makes the BERU format difficult to
sustain. I guess Clive is correct, BERU has probably had
its day. Excellent support from Europe (my impression) and
JA (reported by others) should not be ignored and suggests
this event has a future, but when should it be held ????....

The calander is very full and no time is ideal. From my own
limited, selfish and 'time-constrained' perspective, PLEASE
avoid dates close to the major international events. BERU
was always too close to the ARRL's and WPXSSB for me, and
the 21/28 events too close to CQWW. If we would like to see
this grow into a major event, timing is crucial. N6TJ and
others have long advocated a second CQWW in late April.
Is there an opportunity here?

Keith GM4YXI