[UK-CONTEST] Jottings

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Fri Jun 14 17:25:40 EDT 2002

Ivan Davies wrote:

>For my sins I have never taken part in "BERU", but imho it aint broke, unless you dont speak CW.
>The apparent success  of the Jubilee contest would seem to be as a result of
>1. A real live Jubilee
>2. The chance of a sheepskin for those interested.
>3. The use of the *Q prefix.
> the above are not likely to obtain again for 10 years.

Hard to argue with that logic Ivan and it's good to hear it like it is for once, without some other agenda in evidence.

I would join you too for a return of the LF Cumulatives - they were well supported, good fun and friendly affairs and didn't take up too much time or energy.  The problem apparently is that the proponents of dragging new licensees kicking and screaming into contesting were concerned that these attractive events were being hijacked by the likes of you and I, rather than the 12wpm brigade for whom they were "intended".  Hence the consequence you have mentioned.  My own opinion is that for those new licensees who are actually interested in taking up CW (and having removed the qualification, there is now little incentive for them so to do - well done RSGB!) there are already NFD, CCC, AFS (the QRS Corral), all of which provide varied and supported environments in which a decision can be made whether or not contesting is going to turn you on.

But there is a band-wagon rolling and we may have to hang on a little longer until it rolls off the road . . .

Regards

Peter G3LET

multipart/alternative
  text/html