[UK-CONTEST] G4BUO ARRL Phone

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Mon Mar 4 18:46:30 EST 2002

I don't feel competitive from home here on LF so decided
I'd do a semi-serious effort, concentrating on HF. Of
course with such good conditions I really wish I had given
it a go rather than sleep for five hours the first night
and four the second. Extremely unusual to hear 20m open to
the States right through the night.

Final score is within an amazing ONE QSO of Andy's total
from last year, but what might have happened if I had done
the whole contest rather than just 32.5 hours? Even so, I
had some tiredness problems towards the end, manifested
by being unable to pronounce my callsign properly! Made
as much use of the DVP as I could throughout the contest,
for CQs and sending the exchange.

However much contesting I do I don't think I'll ever get
away from being annoyed and upset by frequency fights. I
don't go and steal other people's frequencies so I object
strongly if others do it to me. An S5 station might not see
it this way, he actually said to me that he was entitled to
2.8kc of 10m during Sunday prime time! I begged to differ, and
we had an acrimonious fight. There was a W on frequency as
well telling him he couldn't have that much of the band,
but he didn't want to know.

Dave G4BUO

      160        5       15           5
       80       95      285          29