[UK-CONTEST] Numbers of G stations entering International contests

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 23:17:55 EST 2002

Hi all,

I think it's fairly clear why the UK remains as a single area in BERU and it has something to do with turkeys and Christmas.  In other words,  the top GW/GMs would otherwise instantly become GB5CC lookalikes, at the expense of the plain old G's, some high profile examples of whom would lose out big time.

I do agree with Bruce that BERU remains an oasis of sanity, friendliness and considerate operating in the often chaotic world of HF contesting.  If that experience doesn't happen to turn you on nobody's forcing you.

Back to topic, a look at that site http://www.rdxc.org pointed out to us by Clive earlier on made me stop and ask myself if those guys are actually

a) nicer/cleverer/more committed/competent, etc. than us?
b) their activities are funded by the membership of the national society? (unlikely, I feel)
c) or by the government? (a few years ago, maybe)
d) commercial sponsorship? (not a bad idea) or
d) maybe the nights are cold and the pubs shut early??

Whatever, it's quite clear this degree of organisation hasn't come about as a result of a few guys getting together for 2 or 3 hours every month or so, but with the sort of commitment and attention to detail shown by some of the major DXpeditions.

The fact is, they have come up with a highly successful formula which, if you think about it, is similar in many respects to our new Jubilee contest.  The thing that particularly impressed me is the complete lack of PC consideration towards lamers and the purveyors of excuses, i.e. if the QSO doesn't check out properly (both ways), no points for either party, penalties for bad copying, etc.  On-line feedback on your log is available after the event, with details of all your losses and of course a results booklet is mailed to all 730+ entrants.  They are currently delivering a 50% annual growth in entries, with nearly 4000 calls in the logs!  Can we (or even the HFCC) learn anything from this?

Regards

Peter, G3LET

multipart/alternative
  text/html