[UK-CONTEST] Software for Jubilee contest

Paul O'Kane paul at ei5di.com
Wed May 29 03:38:09 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Tran GM3WOJ" <gm3woj at talk21.com>

Chris brought up a few good points about software.  It's a pity
there's no single contest logger that's best in all respects, but
the same thing applies to hardware (radios, antennas etc), or
almost anything else you choose.

Nevertheless, SD does address some of the points made.

> either I use software that does what I want during the
> event and have to score the log manually afterwards,

Re-scoring doesn't have to be manual any longer.  I've recently
intoduced SDR which will read Cabrillo (and RSGB format) logs from
any contest logger, and re-score them for RSGB or other contests.
In the process it creates a file in SD's .ALL format which can
then be used by SD or SDCHECK to create a new entry log, and a
separate summary sheet if necesary.

> During the event I want to have 2 PCs networked (this
> is now our normal practise even for a single-radio event
> - having a 'live' spare PC logging all QSOs is very
> reassuring) and 2 keyboards, 1 beside each radio, with
> rig-control for that radio.

Both SD and SDJ have an "audit" option.  This writes a record, in
real-time, of every QSO logged or edited to a separate file or to
a printer - as you choose.

They support rig control for 2-radio operation - most combinations
of Yaesu, Kenwood or Icom.  However, on CW they will not call CQ
on one radio while letting you log on the other - not ideal in
that respect.

73,
Paul EI5DI