[UK-CONTEST] Split Frequency in Contests?

Andy Cook, G4PIQ g4piq at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 28 07:20:34 EST 2002

Just catching up on this debate after getting back from XT2DX yesterday
afternoon - good to work so many of you from there.

I ran split (fixed - UP 1) in one particular instance at XT2DX this weekend
and that was on 160 where we were probably really quite weak (very limited
Tx antenna choice this time since a building had sprung up where we put the
vertical last year), and co-channel would have meant that the pile-up would
have had to stop calling completely for anyone to hear us. On the other
bands, natural encouragement of the pile-up to spread out a few hundred Hz
was all that was really needed.

Sorry that some folks missed us on 80 & 160. We did all we could with
receive antennas in a very limited space (beverage - along a concrete wall
and almost past someones door, a K9AY and a mag loop), but the noise floor
in the centre of Ouaga was dire. It was just like EME on 160 lots of the
time - one character out of the noise at a time!

73,

Andy, G4PIQ