[UK-CONTEST] G4PIQ/P Reports for 21/28 SSB and EU SSB Sprint

Andy Cook, G4PIQ g4piq at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 6 16:35:11 EDT 2002

Another weekend where other stuff had to take priority over radio, but I
have to say - I think re-roofing the shed was probably preferable to 21/28
this weekend!

Spent 2 hours in the EU sprint with 1 radio, 100W and a piece of wet string,
but the contest was still great fun, and there's certainly potential to amas
a decent score in this even with a tiny station. Sounded like really good UK
activity, though I missed quite a lot of folks since the G folks generally
couldn't hear me on 20, and I had to go out before working much on 40, or
almost anything on 80.

Dipped into RSGB 21/28 for about 1 hour 15 mins with same wet string system,
but this was much less enjoyable, really work almost only European stations,
with the odd bit of DX heard operating in the contest unable to hear me -
condx too poor to support a high angle antenna, but did work a handful of
W6s in CQP on 15 late afternoon. Interesting how that path can often seem
quite OK under distrurbed conditions when the path to the rest of the US can
be quite poor.

Conditions this year did nothing to support this as being a sustainable
contest, but even under good conditions, the top QSO totals are way down
from what they were in similar conditions during the last cycle (700 c.f.
1200 I think). Again - I'd rather see the effort to encourage UK stations to
take part in something like CQWW with more awards to support that than
dragging out another domestic contest which has really seen better days.

                          EUROPEAN SPRINT SUMMARY SHEET

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points

   80SSB       2           2          2
   40SSB      25          25         24
   20SSB      45          45         45

 Totals       72          72         71

    Final Score = 71 points.

                              21/28 SSB SUMMARY SHEET

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Prefixes

   15SSB      39          39        117       13
   10SSB       7           7         21        2

 Totals       46          46        138       15

    Final Score = 2070 points.

Rig : FT901DM, 100W, 30m e/f wire @ 3m agl