[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 21/28 CW : Whence WAG?

Nigel Cawthorne G3TXF at compuserve.com
Tue Oct 22 15:41:51 EDT 2002

Re item by Dave G3YMC:

> I am not sure in what year WAG started but it certainly seems
to have taken over the field.<

The WAG (Worked All Germany) Contest started out life as the
Worked All DM (WA-DM) Contest, which, for our younger readers,
was the old prefix for East Germany. In those days West Germany
did not have its own "national DX" contest, but it did, of course,
have the European WAE-DX Contest. So when DL finally bought
out DM (or Y2 as it was by then) it not only got a bunch of inefficient
factories, it also got a WA-DM Contest which had traditionally been
held on the same weekend as the RSGB's 21CW or 21/28 CW event,
i.e on the third Sunday in October. The WA-DM Contest was promptly
renamed the WAG Contest. In the days when it was just the WA-DM
Contest it didn't make much impact on the RSGB's event, but the
re-unified / re-invigorated WAG will be one of the nails in the coffin
of what little remains of the RSGB's 21/28 CW event.

73 - Nigel G3TXF