[UK-CONTEST] Fw: RSGB contest programme.

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 28 16:21:14 EST 2002

It depends what you mean when you say FDs aren't broke. The statistics say otherwise :

FD  96   97  98  99  00 02   (Number of entrants)

CW 80  70  62  60  54  42

SB  44  38  38  39  40  32

For CW FD, you can say that over the last 5 years the entry has halved so in another 5
years it will be around 21, or the rate of decline is averaging 6 per year, therefore it
will be around 7.

For SB FD, again halved would be 16 or 20 at an average rate of decline of 2.5 per year.

Which ever way you look at, in 5 years time, the entry level will have converged. Also,
if you take an average of 14 entries for the CW event, this would probably be split 7
Restricted, 5 Open and 2 Low Power. Is this really viable? Is an Open section group
really going to take all that gear : radios, computers, amps, antennas, rotators, masts,
guys, generator, tent/caravan etc, just to compete against 4 other groups?  Again, for
SSB FD with an average of 18 entries, this might split 10 Open and 8 Restricted.

The other very valid reason for combining the two events is so that we INCLUDE M3s etc,
not EXCLUDE them.

Of course it is broke, so let's have some sensible discussion.

Chris G3SJJ