[UK-CONTEST] Fw: RSGB contest programme.

Dave Sergeant dsergeant at connectfree.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 04:04:52 EST 2002

On 28 Oct 2002 at 21:21, G3SJJ wrote:

> For CW FD, you can say that over the last 5 years the entry has halved
> so in another 5 years it will be around 21, or the rate of decline is
> averaging 6 per year, therefore it will be around 7.

I find Chris's observations disturbing, and if they turn out to be
true a very sad state of affairs.  But perhaps a comparison of QSOs
worked, ie activity levels, may be more instructive.  I sense that
even though the number of entries is declining the actual activity is
actually still increasing.

I am strongly against having mixed mode CW/SSB contests, a practice
that the RSGB has largely not followed apart from IOTA.  Apart from
upsetting those not interested in contests, as a CW operator I would
not be interested in participating unless there was a seperate CW
only section and it was not just an excuse to get rid of the CW.  I
used to operate in our club's VHF NFD when they had a seperate CW
session on 4m. Now that they have made it all mode it has effectively
killed off CW in VHF NFD and I have no incentive.  I can see that
happening with the Field Days. Whether our club (Bracknell) would
participate in such a mixed mode field day is uncertain - attempts to
get any interest in SSB FD have failed in the past, but that is
partly because it clashes with the 2m contest on the same day. And CW
FD clashes with a 6m contest which our club operates in.

What might be a suggestion is to liaise with other national societies
and try to combine some of the events.  Each society seems to want to
run its own contest calendar with the result that most weekends there
are several conflicting contests running competing for attention (eg
21/28 and WAG).  If some of these contests were amalgamated surely it
would go some way to increasing participation in general?

On a related issue, I notice last weekend in CQWW that the incursion
of SSB stations into the CW parts of the bands was worse this year
than I ever remember, with contest stations right down to 7010 at
times.  The usual excuses (one weekend a year, if you are looking for
DX you will be in the contest anyway, etc) are pretty weak. Band
plans are gentlemen's agreements, let us be gentlemen and not upset
those who may be potential recruits to contesting.  Of course those
on this reflector will not be among the offenders.

73s Dave G3YMC

dsergeant at iee.org
dsergeant at btinternet.com
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk