[UK-CONTEST] SSB FD Multipliers

Paul O'Kane paul at ei5di.com
Sun Sep 15 08:01:02 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "G3SJJ" <g3sjj at btinternet.com>

Chris & others,

> My local club asked me to take a look at their log and
> one thing I noticed was that the summary sheet created
> by SD v9.91 includes a line for area mults, giving them
> two extra multipliers, one on 80 and one on 40. In
> addition it says they worked 36 mults on 20m and I can
> only count 35.

If your local club is registered for SD, I'll be happy to help
them directly.

Summary sheets are created by SDCHECK, the post-contest program.
SDCHECK reads the .ALL file produced by SD and tots QSOs, points,
dupes and multipliers, whether country or area, as already marked
up in each QSO record.  Any errors in the .ALL file, whether
caused by SD or by subsequent manual editing, will be reflected in
SDCHECK's figures.  It's always possible that the errors Chris
mentioned were due to bugs in SDCHECK.  However, I release regular
updates, typically once per month, and the current version of SD
is 9.93.  You can see the details of each release at
http://www.ei5di.com/sdhist.html.

> I am left puzzled because I have definately not encountered
> area mults before. The rules are quite specific : One
> multiplier for each DXCC Country worked on each band.

That's correct, and it's the way SD has scored SSB FD since 1993 -
the scoring has not changed.  Whether the error was caused by SD,
or by manual log edits, there is a solution. I recently released
SDR, an independent re-scoring program for SD, RSGB, and Cabrillo
format logs.  SDR makes no assumptions about the validity of
existing scoring, if any (Cabrillo logs contain no scoring
information by QSO). SDR creates a new, correctly scored, .ALL
file which can then be input to SDCHECK to generate entry logs and
summary sheets.

SDR is available to registered users of SD, and may be downloaded
from my website.  For those who use other contest loggers, perhaps
for their networking facilities, SDR can re-score these logs for
RSGB rules.  Further, if you want to have your SSB FD log
re-scored, and listed, under IARU Region 1 Field Day rules, use
SDR Type 8, option I (IARU) to create a new SD format log, then
SDCHECK to create your entry log and summary sheet and email them
to fieldday at darc.de (thanks Manfred DK2OY).

73,
Paul EI5DI
http://www.ei5di.com