[UK-CONTEST] CQWW CW G3WGV SO AB LP

G3WGV at aol.com G3WGV at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 13:06:06 EST 2003

Contest:      CQWW CW
Callsign:     G3WGV
Category:     SO
Power:        LP
Bands:        All
Mode:         CW (what else?)
Entity:       England
Zone:         14

Band   QSOs Points Zones Entities
1.8     129   156     7     37
3.5     545   824    14     64
7.0     302   545    22     79
14.0    250   469    20     68
21.0    342   822    22     70
28.0    308   807    18     56

Total  1886  3623   103    375

Grand total 1,731,794

Station: FT1000MP-V at 100W, dipoles and verticals
Club affiliation: CDXC

Logged by FSDXA StarLog

Soapbox:

My first attempt at SO/AB/LP since moving up north.  Unlike previous years,
no big beams, just rotary dipoles and, of course the wonderful V160 Titanex,
which gave a good account of itself on 80 in particular.  Big storm with 70mph
winds on Saturday afternoon lost me a couple of hours, whilst I coped with
damage to the stub mast on the dipole stack.

Weren't conditions good!  It was really nice to hear so much activity on the
higher bands, failing on HF only in the very last few hours, when I guess
there must have been a bit of auroral activity, judging by the strange noises on
40m.  Highlights included being called on 80m towards the end of the contest by
PY, 9V1 and J88, the latter being my last QSO, neatly completed just as the
clock struck midnight.

A growing trend seems to be anonymous operating by some of the big
DXpedition-style stations.  I waited for fully 8 minutes for one miscreant to give his
callsign, only to discover when he did eventually identify that he was already
in the log.  I have a leeest of offenders!

73, John
G3WGV
http://fsdxa.com/3b9c
http://g3wgv.com