[UK-CONTEST] Cabrillo for AFS and comments G3YMC

Dave Sergeant dsergeant at connectfree.co.uk
Mon Jan 13 04:23:42 EST 2003

First some questions about Cabrillo submission for AFS. The rules
indicate that logs for a club entry should be submitted by 'an
officer of the affiliated society' and should have a summary sheet
detailing the club entry.  Does that mean that all logs must be sent
in a single email with multiple attachments or can individuals submit
them seperately - each log after all has the club name in the CLUB
field? There is of course no provision for a summary sheet in
Cabrillo and I assume anything you put in the body of the email is
ignored by the robot. What happens in those clubs where there is a
mixture of electronic logs in various formats, disks and paper logs?

I had an enjoyable four hours in the contest yesterday, a spur of the
moment decision to enter and had not been able to organise a team. It
was really a test of how my K2 at 5W QRP would perform in such a busy
contest and I was not disappointed making 126 QSOs. Hardly record
breaking but quite satisfying - and my scoring rate did NOT reduce in
the last hour, it was steady right through. I seem to be recognised
as a QRP operator these days and several commented on 'FB QRP' or
sent '72' without prompting.

I rather sensed that some had problems with receiver overload or wide
filters. Some relatively weak stations would come straight back to my
calls with no problems. Other much stronger ones seemed to have
problems copying me. The K2 receiver of course works superbly, like
it did in CQWW, with single station reception at all times - the band
did not even seem crowded!

Next year we hope to operate a proper team from Bracknell ARC.

73s Dave G3YMC

dsergeant at iee.org
dsergeant at btinternet.com
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk