[UK-CONTEST] AFS SSB G4BUO

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Mon Jan 20 03:57:12 EST 2003

289 QSOs including one dup.

Yes, the band was very crowded, but it looks like this year the
top scores won't exceed 320. My best total was in 1996 when
I made 346 Qs, and G4PIQ several times exceeded the 400
mark so actually there has been a drop in activity.

The SSTVers have been a major nuisance for several years.
One Saturday afternoon when I'm in the shack I'm going to
monitor 3730-3740 and see just how much SSTV goes on.
I strongly suspect that most of what we had to put up with
wasn't real SSTV activity, just a few policemen trying to
defend 'their' allocation which is no more than a recommendation
in the Region 1 bandplan.

Antenna was an inverted vee, centre up about 55ft and ends
at about 30ft, running roughly NW-SE. I'm happy to admit
to using a reflector, about 140ft long, 6ft high and offset to the
south of the dipole to try to shove my signals up country. I
strongly suspect that its effect is mainly psychological.
Interestingly though, I seem to be called by GMs early on
in the event, despite the fact that I'm one of the most southerly
stations.

Dave G4BUO