[UK-CONTEST] G-650C Rotator problem

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 28 14:53:08 EST 2003

I haven't had to fault-find or repair a rotator before so this one has stumped me. Beam
and indicator fixed at 290 degrees. Dial lights up but no rotation of indicator or beam.
Motor voltages appear reasonable :

AC Volts             Left        Right
YLW to RED       30          15
YLW to GRN       15          30

Pot DC Volts across          BLU WHI =  1v but 10v when dissed rotator
Return Resistance across  BLU WHI = 330 when dissed from controller
(125m of HD  7way "trailer" cable to rotator)

My thinking is that it is a DC system failure in the controller but I don't have a cct
diag and also the pcb has a number of surface mount components. This is a real nuisance
coming just a few days before the FOC Marathon. Another week and it would have done me
until spring time. At least the 10m beam is pointing to States.

1 - Anyone willing to loan a G-650c controller for the weekend?
2 - Are replacement PCBs available
3 - Any helpful suggestions?

Chris G3SJJ