[UK-CONTEST] Re: IOTA Debate

Dave Sergeant dsergeant at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 29 05:23:42 EDT 2003

As one of the very small pipsqueak signals I would add my own
comments about this contest.

I welcome the introduction of a QRP section. Unfortunately conditions
were not favourable, but a K2 at 5W into a longwire is perhaps the
sort of station which many small island operations could use. It is
certainly right that there should be this section to encourage
smaller island operations.

I think the 12 hour section should stay. For me this weekend there
was little incentive to operate for longer, and it adds that bit of
extra challenge choosing which 12 hours to operate in. As it happens,
having planned my final session to start at 0400z, I was almost
tempted to go straight back to bed when I found the bands in such a
sorry state - and there were a few other times when I almost gave up
due to lack of interest. But hopefully things won't be so thin next
year....

As a small fry with all the big boys about I certainly found it hard
to make an impression (completely different from my experience in
CQWW and ARRL contests). Looking back at the log I clearly failed to
work enough IOTA multipliers and perhaps it was that any QSOs of any
sort at least kept the interest up.  Some of the pile ups seemed hard
to break on QRP. I worked G5XV easily on 80, 20 and 15 when their
signals were not that strong, but failed miserably to work them on 40
when they were s9 +20 - and wasted far too much time!

As for scoring, I agree with other comments. The event must clearly
favour the island stations, but it seems a bit strange that I get the
same 3 points for working a non island DX (eg most of the USA) and
for working a G down the road!

I have always had a passive interest in this contest (and IOTA in
general) and this is the first year I have actually submitted an
entry. But I am not really sure I enjoyed the weekend, something is
not quite right.

73 Dave G3YMC

dsergeant at btinternet.com
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk