[UK-CONTEST] BERU 2003 VK1MJ

g3pjt g3pjt at whsmithnet.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 03:52:37 EST 2003

Hi
Comments from the VK1MJ operation in BERU

1. Sorry about the change in callsign from that published but VK1TX station
was not available and luckily Mike VK1MJ offered me the use of his - for
which many thanks. Line up was IC775DSP + IC4KL  HB35 at 35 ft, dipoles for
80/40. S/ware Writelog. I didn't have IF CW filters in the '775 but didn't
seem to be too much of a problem.
2. Score was modest at 533 Qs for a raw score of about 6385.
3. 80m was quite good from the noise aspect, the floor is low in VK1 and
there were just crashes from storms. I managed Qs with
'BJ,'LZQ,'HCT,'HTA,'POI all in the propagation window between 1735 ( Clive)
and 1914 John HTA) I was surprised at how similar the sigs were  given the
difference in antennas. And also that there was still propagation when I
worked John so late on. I could not hear any other calls, I guess there were
folks calling but not readable.
4. 40-15 seemed to be as expected and the shortish openings on 10 to UK were
welcome. More antenna gain at my end would have helped.
5. Outstanding signal on 20 and 15 from Andy G4PIQ/P especially after
1200Z - way above anyone else.
6. The difference in propagation across VK is very significant I guess that
is obvious when you look at a map of VK suprimposed on EU.
7. Last 3 hours marred by thunderstorms and very heavy rain in VK1 which
gave me heavy static and caused a close down just as things were opening up
for the final session. Also there was the call of food from the barbie.
8. So thanks to all the VKs for their hospitality and especially to Mike and
Mary Jenkins VK1MJ. QSL to Mike via bureau or direct. I have tried to
encourage the VK1 club to put on a HQ station next year.

73 and thanks for the Qs

Bob G3PJT/VK1MJ