[UK-CONTEST] Inverted V help

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Sun Nov 9 18:55:57 EST 2003

I used an 80m inverted V up about 40ft for several years and it was
a good antenna for general work, AFS etc. It was running NW-SE and
also seemed pretty effective off the end when working the States.

However, most of the radiation is pretty high angle and it was not so
good for long-haul DX. One point to remember with JAs is that we
really are on the extreme west of Europe, and JAs are a great deal
louder the further east you go in Europe. This was brought home to
me very clearly when I went to Slovenia in 1990 for WRTC.

For DX working you could consider replacing the inverted V with an
inverted L, about 80ft total length and brought to resonance with a
series capacitor, but you'll have to be prepared to put down a set
of radials.

Dave G4BUO