[UK-CONTEST] Laptops & USB/com:

Robin Thompson robin at g3tkf.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 04:55:44 EDT 2003

In message <001901c3747f$d9d83640$92c787d9 at dougrobe>, Doug Roberts
<g0wmw at arrl.net> writes
>Hi All,
>
>I seem to remember a short thread about USB/com: converters a while
>ago.  Is everyone who uses them still happy with them?  Which version
>of Windoze works best, or is there little difference?  I'm thinking I
>might buy a new laptop - will want to run both rig control and cw from
>CT (thanks, I know LPT1: can handle the cw).  Would anyone like to
>recommend (or slate) any particular laptop models in the 1k pounds
>price range?
>
>Thanks, 73 and happy contesting!
>de Doug G0WMW
I bought a Compaq Presario (908 and 630UKP) recently ...Very zippy
machine 1.5G / 30G etc etc ... USB fine...BUT NO serial ports (very few
have these days) and XP (of course!) - tried several USB>serial adaptors
for rig control . OK if you JUST want one for rig control and nothing
else (such as PDA use) - but LOTS of problems with driver compatibility
once you start using the USB adaptor for other purposes.
XP CAN be a real pain if you want to use it on a network with anything
other than XP machines.Also slightly fiddly to get the LPT port going on
CW !) - I have made my machine dual boot and put W98 on a partition ....
but it took ages to get all the correct drivers for graphics card /
sound card / etc ....
My advice - CHECK the machine you buy has a serial port !
IF its JUST for radio use spend appx 350UKP and get a machine that
doesn't have all the bells and whistles has a good solid feeling
keyboard - a 400Mhz or so proc. is fine - and perhaps a 6month warranty
- Oh , probably have W98 as well !

(You COULD make me an offer for my Presario - with 3months warranty
left!!)
Robin
G3TKF
City of Bath