[UK-CONTEST] G5W IOTA CONTEST

Dominik Bugmann hb9czf at swiss-artg.ch
Thu Aug 5 15:23:15 EDT 2004

A few comments from a non-islander. I'm participating in IOTA contests since
3 years and was able to work 20+ new islands in Europe this year. IOTA
contest for a non-islander is a real 24h S&P-effort - band up and down, work
what ever you get. While I scan the bands my brain puts a UK call in one of
the following pots:
1.) MD4K, GU8D, MM0XAU, GM3POI, ...  Call looks familiar and I recall where
they were last year. A new multi and easy to work.
2.) GM2T, GM2Z, ... I assume they are one of the Scottish islands. A new
multi and good signals for a single-hop-QSO.
3.) G4BVJ/p, MM/DL6MHW, MM/F5BLC/P, ... I assume they are single op
expeditions, with LP or QRP and small antennas. A new multi but it usually
takes longer to work them.
4.) G5W, M0B, M3C, M4A, ... I put them into the Multi Op HP, big antenna
category. My perception is EU-005. Depending on the location in England they
are too close to central Europe (loads on back-scatter and watery signals on
20 & 15m).

If your call is in group 4.) add "/p" or use your home-call with "/p". This
will trigger your attention to the S&P community.

Nowadays I put in LP efforts and in big contests like CQWW or ARRL DX I'm a
welcomed multiplier. The only way I can hold my frequency (for hours) is to
call high in the band. The DXCluster will find you. The same applies if you
think your signal is weak (e.g. small antenna, or hill in a particular
direction). For IOTA a high QRG is above xx.040 kHz.

I'm surprised to read than M8C was QRV from EU-011. I never heard them the
16 hours I was S&P-ing. SSB only or no CQ in CW?
The same about MM0Q, but I think they only CQ on SSB and I'm a CW only
person.

my conclusion for IOTA is:
- a unusual callsign (e.g. .../p, MM/F5BLC/p, GB5SI, ...) will get your
attention.
- call high in the band if you find you have a weak signal or your not
experienced with pile-ups.
- CW gives another 10dB over SSB.

and a quick look in the log of my QRP-effort this year:
I logged 49 UK QSO.
10m: G0DCK (12:01z), G4FAL (12:08z) via E sporadic, I guess.
15m: MM0XAU, GM0CLN, GM3HAM/p (all Saturday afternoon)
20m: 14 QSO all over the UK - 8 from EU-005
40m: 15 QSO all over the UK - 10 from EU-005
80m: 15 QSO spread over the UK - 9 from EU-005

Now, for the IOTA British Isles award I have 11 entities confirmed, 8 worked
but no QSL so far (after up to 3 years!) and 8 never heard (the hard ones:
EU-059, 92, 106, 108, 109, 111, 112, 118). Work goes on and as an additional
challenge LP or QRP and CW only, hi.

BTW: 2 days ago I received the IOTA Contest award for 2003. As already
expressed to this news-group, the award looks really pretty and found its
place on my webpage.

73 de Dominik, HB9CZF