[UK-CONTEST] 28Mhz propagation

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Sun Dec 12 11:20:10 EST 2004

Well I have not quite finished in the 10m contest yet, there is still
a chance the band will open in the remaining hours (but I suspect
not, judging by the deathly hush down there at the moment!).

I had not considered the positioning of the greyline as relevant to
the propagation effects we have been seeing during this contest, but
who knows. In my case I am used to one way propagation, but that is
rather more because I run QRP!

I suspect most of the propagation effects are due to small packets of
ionised layers similar to sporadic E. The opening to YU yesterday
evening was very characteristic of this, there were quite a few YU
stations, one 9A, but no sign of S5, Z3 or even OK (not heard here
all weekend). Myself and Steve GW4ALG tend to compete against each
other in this event. It seems Steve could work some of the YU's in
Wales which I couldn't from Bracknell, a hundred miles or so to the
east. On the DX side, I noticed yesterday that CX7BW seemed to have a
pipeline into G land at one time, perhaps these ionisation packets
with longer paths as well.

With only 35 QSOs this weekend I guess it doesn't warrent much of a
posting here (but it may still qualify for the G QRP certificate!). I
think here in G land we have been unlucky, stations further south
(ZC4LI, P3F etc) could clearly generate a big pileup, and there were
some very big serials coming from the Caribbean and south America. I
guess we count as the frozen north as far as the propagation
predictions go. But with a K index of up to 5 and an A index of today
forecast to be over 30 I guess it could have been much worse.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com