[UK-CONTEST] CW Letters instead of Numbers

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 05:29:00 EDT 2004

Andy wrote:
> I observed dozens of stations replacing nearly all of the numbers, it
>came to a head when I received "5nn aetn from 1 station!

In my book, that's dirty play. Regardless of whether it's deliberate or
just thoughtless, the effect is to dump the whole burden of copying onto
the receiving station. The harder the sending station makes it to copy,
the greater the chance that he'll keep all the points for the QSO while
the other guy does not.

If this is becoming a trend, there needs to be counter-movement of
*insisting* on repeats, repeats and repeats, followed-up by an early
change in contest rules world-wide.

Computerised log checking may be making this problem worse, because at
present there's a presumption that 100% of the blame for errors lies
with the receiving station. So another possibility is for the software
to monitor the percentage of sent exchanges that are not being copied
correctly; and above a certain threshold, apply equal penalties to the
sending station too.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK