[UK-CONTEST] CW Letters instead of Numbers

Doug Roberts g0wmw at arrl.net
Wed Jun 2 05:46:05 EDT 2004

Don,

The saving is probably not as great as might be imagined - several
QSOs-worth of 'saved' seconds will be negated by a single request for a
repeat.  I am not adept at demorsing abbreviated numbers and neither, I
suspect, are many others.  Following the sporting analogies, as there is no
'premiership' in these contests, we're all in the same league and the
serious contester should surely take into account that the bulk of his QSOs
will be with 'mere mortals'?  Skimming through some old contest reports in
QST last week, I noticed comments about the sustained QSO rates of 'steady
plodders' being greater than those of the speed merchants, and I tend to
agree - a clean QSO at 25wpm scores as much, and takes no longer than, a
'dirty' one (including repeats) at 40wpm.  That logic also applies to
'uncommon' abbreviations, speed changes, and anything else that detracts
from the ability of  the 'mere mortal' to successfully (i.e. first time)
decode what you transmit!  I sense a topic for a PhD thesis here - "A
Determination of the Optimum Speed and Abbreviation Level in Transmitted
Morse Code for Contest Purposes".

73,
Doug