[UK-CONTEST] NFD Low Power M0ARC/P

John Dunnington g3lzq at john-dunnington.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 17:04:46 EDT 2004

Well that was different, problems and all.

For some time Vic (G4BYG) and myself had thought about returning to the fold
(1995 was our last Restricted entry and many years prior to that G3ZRS/P
entered the Open section from various locations around the East Yorkshire
Coast).

Following the reflector message from Dave (BUO) last calls for registration.
(we missed it by a couple of days.)

Vic built a centre fed doublet with open-wire feeder and I put the FT1KMP on
to DC and set up the QRP 10w max output. I had a Laptop with a Belkin
12vdc>230VAC Inverter as we had 3-hrs maximum from internal batteries. A
very large 130AH Tractor Battery was loaned from the local agricultural
engineering establishment. Given 12-hrs maximum operation all should be
fine. The new microHAM  Interface for the MP was tested fine using Wlog but
Vic had a preference to use N1MM which does not allow serial operation on
keying from same port (2xUSB). Oh well we use LPT Keying that's is OK. We
can also have an external Keyer powered by the AC Inverter for the odd hand
keyed QSO or repeats. Due to late working nothing was attempted on Friday
evening except to start preparation for the tent 15ft x 10ft. My XYL
reported Vic had called to say would be late Saturday due to having to work
for a couple of hours.

Up early Saturday (hate hot sunshine burn too easy) tent up and gear
installed just need antenna 2-man job a 30ft pole. All pretty straight
forward and after Vic's arrival we make preparations and then retreat to
lunch. We can start at 1800 and run through to 0200 so no rush. XYL primed
to have evening meal fixed for 6pm then we go at 18z. At this time we
receive a call from my #1 son and family who are supposed to be en route
from a weeks holiday in Cornwall. It is his eldest daughter's birthday so at
14 she takes priority for the next hour. Meantime Vic prepares to commence
but N1MM messages
not set up, rig not talking to computer. Eventually we find the previously
installed and tested microHAM USB Interfaces are not there. System won't let
us re=install them as it thinks they are being installed. Thank goodness for
XP go back a few days and restore system and  hey they are back. First QSO
completed at 1837z. I spend a fair while trying to dim the ambient light
from bright sunshine laptop's and MP's not really designed for field use.

Now it is a new game learning when and when not to call using QRP. We
decided following many previous postings on QRP operations in Contests that
we should concentrate on S&P rather than waste time running no place. 20/15
pretty tough but do make progress on 20m we decide to leave 40m for Sunday
am with it's potential for EU /p and we would be fresh meat for the big
guns. At 21z we move to 80m and the rate increases, at 22z we move to 160
but generally quiet although steady progress. Having worked all we can find
go  back to 80m for 45 mins with 50+ on each band. Vic has to work for 2-3
hours Sunday so must leave at 06z (My XYL forgot to mention this one). We
decide for security reasons we will remove the gear and go have some decent
sleep and restart at 07z ish. Bad mistake I should have continued for
another couple of hours on 80/160 as we were left with lousy conditions on
10/15 for Sunday and the world and it's wife squeezed into 20/40 for our
second 6-hrs. We had some good sessions on 40m with lots of Eu Portables
despite the QRP. We could never expect to make up for the earlier disasters
but it was sure good fun. Finally we interrupted the late morning session
for a good roast beef and Yorkshire pud lunch before rounding off with the
final hour at 1336z with a flurry of Eu Portables. We called CQ 3-times in
the whole contest perhaps we could have tried to run more.

Will we do it next year, definite yes with a few variations. We had planned
to use the 2nd Rx for spotting but N1MM audio and band map switching not a
good idea. It just don't work using the MP.  Must investigate a solution but
overall a very laid back session which was good fun.

Points tally for the stats:

                  Total      160      80     40      20      15      10

 QSO          294         54      54     90      71       23       2
 Points       1278       404     196    336    246     80      16
 Rate          24.5        45......67.....35.....25.......31

73 John