[UK-CONTEST] NFD 2004 10m QSOs Preliminary Thoughts

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 8 17:14:03 EDT 2004

Firstly thanks to everyone who has sent me data, 10 groups so far. Sporadic
E was definitely absent!

I'll try and put the data in a more technical format but what really stands
out is that the place to be for inter-UK QSOs is the M4 corridor! I think
there has always been a southern bias for Ground Wave Qs, whilst there has
been a northern bias for Es, but I suspect there is also something else
here.

A couple of stations have mentioned an overall lack of /Ps from the UK. Ten
years ago there was over 80 groups taking part, so the chance of you finding
someone close to you was reasonable, now it is half that.

A quick check says that probably 40 to 50% of the UK /Ps (and also casual
activity) are in the M4 catchment area and the rest, ie another 20 groups
are spread around the UK. So if you are away from this centre of activity
you won't find much to work in the way of UK stations.

Hope I haven't opened a can of worms here, it wasn't intended. The results
were probably predictable but I didn't anticipate it being so obvious.
Chris G3SJJ

---