[UK-CONTEST] Wireless networking

Jim Martin - MM0BQI MM0BQI at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 03:25:35 EDT 2004

Hi Clive
I have installed a broadband wireless router at the point broadband enters
the house and have eliminated all the network cables. The two desktop have
internal PCI wireless network cards and I use a PCMCIA card and a USB
wireless network card for the laptops. Less problems in the shack than when
I used wired networks.
The only untuned antennas I use are a random wire fed with an SGC tuner and
strapping the 40m dipole legs together and tuning that with an ATU in the
shack. Apart from causing telephone interference I could only run 20 watts
before the PC crashed. Having removed the wired network I have eliminated
phone interference and can happily run 50 watts into the wire antenna.
I have also field tested the wireless network at 100w with a Butternut
vertical beside the tent and the legs of the 80m dipole running over the
tent. CW on the MP was a bit of a nightmare (RFI lock-up) but the network
worked perfectly.
Jim