[UK-CONTEST] Wireless networking

Ray Goff ray at g4fon.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 03:57:15 EDT 2004

> Hi men (& girls?)
>
> Sorry that this is a weensy bit off topic, but is germane to contesting
> anyway.

Clive,

I am running a wireless network here and while I could not claim that it has
significantly reduced the QRM levels as the network is only one source of many
at my location, it has functioned fine in the presence of RF.

For NFD, the Oxford club used a pair of PC's connected together by a wireless
LAN. I had originally intended to use a crossover network connection, which
tested out fine on my dining room table on the Friday evening, but would not
work on Saturday in the tent. I ended up setting up a wireless LAN as an 'Adhoc
network' and it functioned absolutely faultlessly throughout the weekend, much
to my surprise. Admittedly we were only running 100 Watts, but there would have
been some pretty high levels of RF about.

For what it is worth, I am using Belkin 54g PCMCIA network cards.

73

Ray, G4FON