[UK-CONTEST] 80M SSB Contest report - G3NKC

Paul Brice-Stevens paul at g0wat.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 21 15:01:04 EST 2004

Hi all,

I understand Chris's point about all's fair in Love and Contesting and
to a certain extent there is a lot of legitimised cheating when it comes
to power levels...both here there and everywhere...between you and your
conscience I suppose (Oh how we struggle with that conscience!)

My point however in all this has been I DON'T CARE IF YOU RUN 2500
Watts...I just do not wish to be classified in the same section as you
in AFS if I am running 100w...despite blather backwards and forwards on
this subject
no-one has actually come up with a reason why there should not be
separate power classes in a contest where the power limits are
flagrantly broken...because you are not 'competitive' running 100w
instead of 2500w keeping the status quo appears to me to smack of the
'Matilda' reasoning of...

I Big, your Small,
I Right , your Wrong,
and there's nothing you can do about it...

...I would be surprised if anyone has actually reached the top ten box
in AFS without running an Amp (I'm not decrying their talent here...I've
no doubt that most top tens can beat most anyone else into a cocked
hat)...therefore the original claim stands...why are there not separate
power class's?...the fact that people at one time did not fill in
Equipment codes...or may live in a different part of the country has no
bearing on this basic question.

If 5/100/S+CAD W classes were included in AFS (and others) I am sure it
would not effect the overall standing among the 'competitive' stations
at all...it would however allow those of us who are not regular SPLAT
members to have something to compete for...thus serving the interests of
all competitors who take part in such an event...If you are 58th in the
overall listing running 100w and 3rd 100w station overall you have
achieved something...if you are 58th in a listing which does not allow a
separate power level competition to run within it YOU ARE JUST 58th...

73 de Paul G0WAT (QRP/ to QRO and all sins in between)

QRO can sometime be like clubbing a seal in a barrel...requires little
brains, is not a pretty sight and makes an awful mess...then again calm
down dear it's only hobby!

In message <MCBBILFIBOJAEJJDMDLEKEHACHAA.g3sjj at btinternet.com>, G3SJJ
<g3sjj at btinternet.com> writes

Paul Brice-Stevens