[UK-CONTEST] 50mhz rsgb contest

Steve Jones steve at rjtraining.fsnet.co.uk
Wed May 5 19:20:12 EDT 2004

Hi Andy,
Nice to work you in the contest and yes, thanks for the multiplyer! I
worked sixty odd at a fairly steady pace. I hunted and pounced once
every hour and found a few new ones right in the last few minutes.
Thanks to the couple of GI stations who called me - made it worth my
while calling towards GI for prolonged periods (must get a voice keyer
working on my ic7400!) with a recovering sore throat. One of the other
highlights was the YU7 who popped out of the blue at 59 plus and stayed
long enough to complete with no problem - not sure if it was early es or
a long ms burst (probably the former I guess as I have been hearing
strong DL SP and S51 stations in and out in the days before and after
the test). I managed to scrape over the 1 million points mark right at
the end so I was a fairly happy bunny. However, compared to a few years
ago when I last did this contest I found that there were not so many G
stations with 25w or 50w to a small yagi about - I used to be able to
guarantee a steady stream of west/south yorks and midlands stations in
previous years efforts. Maybe they have all migrated to 2m like me, as I
have found more activity on 144300 recently than I have on 6m!

CU in the es season this year

73

Steve GW0GEI