[UK-CONTEST] 2128MHz ssb contest

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Mon Oct 4 14:21:10 EDT 2004

Dave, All,

I agree with your observations on the bands totally.  I was surprised
how long a duration the JA opening was on Sunday.  10m was hopeless -
we didn't continue right to the end - putting in rather a social effort
than a serious one and wanting to clear up and get away before total
darkness and torrential rain arrived.   Hence we probably missed the
later openings on 10m.

We had a few G's call us but rather just quite newly licensees (or at
least new to HF) and I tend to agree that they just don't bother to
check the rules.  Anyway I don't see it as a problem to quickly explain
and give them a report anyway.   I don't see that we need to change the
rules to allow inter-G working.  It's a DX contest mainly and nice to
have some events with such an objective.  I work the SP DX contest
every year and I always get a few calls in the 24 hours from non-SP
stations which I have to refuse for contest purposes.  There  are lots
of examples of these types of contest when one country works the world.
  Why change ours to fit another category of all works all.

What surprises me, given the low level of UK activity generally and the
limited numbers of UK stations in particular, is that so many stations
from around the world choose to look for us and take part.  It must be
quite a job to find new G stations to work after a short while.

So my personal opinion FWIW is to maintain the status quo - leave as is
- and continue to educate the uninitiated !!

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ
part of the G4IRC/P team.