[UK-CONTEST] Sprint QSO Format

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Sat Oct 9 07:02:42 EDT 2004

I've had a couple of questions about the exchange in the Eu sprint - the
CW contest starts at 4pm today on 20m.

Firstly, the rules state that in the exchange BOTH callsigns must be
given. This is essential in a contest where people are QSYing all the
time, otherwise we'd be overwhelmed by callsign errors.

Seondly there is a convention, not actually a rule, relating to the
format of the exchange and it really helps if everyone follows the
convention. If you listen to the North American sprints, where the top
stations are able to make FOUR HUNDRED QSOs in a 4-hour period, QSYing
all time, you'll see pretty much universal adherence to the convention.
Unfortunately we're not there yet in the EU sprints but I hope this
explanation on uk-contest may help.

Format A:

his callsign
my callsign
serial
name

Format B:

his callsign
serial
name
my callsign

In a posting on 6th October Paul EI5DI showed how to set up F2 and F3 in
SD to perform these two functions. TR has support for the two ways of
doing it, and you can configure DL2NBU and no doubt other software to do
this as well.

When you call CQ or QRZ and get a reply, you use format A (F2). The
other station, who has called you, uses format B (F3). A third station,
tuning around for someone to work, can pick up the callsign appearing at
the end of the exchange (format B) and if required, can call that
station as soon as the contact has been completed (and confirmed with a
'R').

On the other hand, if you're tuning around and you hear an exchange in
format A, it should mean you're hearing the CQer. He's going to QSY
after the contact so even if you need him, there's no point hanging
around for him because as soon as he sends 'R' to complete the QSO,
he'll be gone.

Here's an example. Suppose I start by CQing.

CQ G4BUO G4BUO TEST
I2UIY
I2UIY G4BUO 1 DAVE
G4BUO 23 PAOLO I2UIY
OK2FD               (X)
OK2FD I2UIY 24 PAOLO
I2UIY 16 KAR OK2FD
CQ OK2FD TEST

At point (X), OK2FD had been tuning around and heard the end of I2UIY's
exchange. He needs the QSO so waits for the R from me, then drops in his
call without I2UIY having to send a CQ.

This may seem a small point, but adherence really helps make it a sprint
rather than a stroll.

Dave G4BUO