[UK-CONTEST] Grumpy Old Contesters

Ed Taylor, G3SQX g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Wed Oct 13 11:22:29 EDT 2004

I like the Sprint contests, and seem to improve a little each time.  But
it's galling to work BUO about half an hour in, and find he's already
sending a serial number 20 greater than mine!  Of course, the same applies
to other big guns, who are not necessarily the big guns from other contests.
You need a reasonable signal, but the difference in results doesn't (I
think) depend on signal strength as much as in CQWW, for example.

It's a great event for the "more mature" contester (probably means most of
us?), who have trouble staying awake for more than 16 hours at a time -- in
fact, even after four hours I need a walk round the block and a glass of
something to recover.  My only gripe would be that conditions appear to
favour eastern Europe, in that they can use 80m earlier than we can.  But I
found 80m to be better this time than usual -- or was it my earlier switch
from 40m anyway?  My tactics in the Sprint obviously leave a lot to be
desired, and I suspect that the winners are using two radios extensively
(something that has defeated my miserable hand-eye-brain coordination skills
even just in practice sessions).

Results from GU3SQX last weekend, in the CW event: QSOs on 20m 68, on 40m
63, on 80m 47, Total 178.  No griping from me, you'll be glad to hear!

Ed, G3SQX