[UK-CONTEST] 21/28Mhz, the future?

Andy swiffin a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 04:12:21 EDT 2004

I've been following this discussion with interest as a fairly new CW
contester (who didn't take part in this, ...  5 qsos)

>b) The clash with WAG is a real problem at the DX end. Invariably
calling CQ RSGB TEST or even CQ G results in numerous
>calls from DLs, which is a real pain. Also the DLs tend to be much
stronger than the Gs, so I have to listen for weak Gs under
>a wall of S9 DLS. This makes it tough going. This was a bigger problem
last year than this year.

I thought it would be a good place to up my CW totals, but it was too
much of a drag trawling through all the WAG callers.

>c) 10m is the band that makes this an interesting contest at the DX
end. To those who say that 10m is a waste of time, I
>would totally disagree. This year 35.6% of my QSOs were on 10m.
Finding the 10m openings is what can give a DX station
>the edge over another DX station and makes the contest interesting. I
think I would be unlikely to enter a 15m only contest. I
>don't think that Gs listen enough on 10m. Early afternoon last Sunday
there was a great opening to most parts of the UK
>including GM (no GD/GI heard) when signals were S9++, but I still
spent quite a bit of time calling CQ without any answer.

Sorry I didn't hear you on 10, I must have been round at the wrong
time, I came on late afternoon.  Only qso on CW was EA8, but I did work
CX and several LUs on rtty in the JARTS contest on 10.  If I believed
all the things people are saying about 10 I would write it off, but I'm
glad I didn't!

Cheers
Andy
gm8oeg