[UK-CONTEST] IOTA Contest Results

Donald Field g3xtt at lineone.net
Thu Oct 21 07:40:22 EDT 2004

Just in case any of you have been looking for the Claimed Scores, etc (probably not, hi!), I thought an update might be in order.

The adjudication team has been focused on getting the full adjudication finished in time for the RSGB HF Convention at Gatwick. Producing any sort of interim scores would have been a distraction. I have kept quiet but it hasn't been clear until the last day or so whether the task would be completed in time.

Anyway, the good news is that I now have the first cut of the results. I would like to call these "Provisional" as there is some manual intervention required on some logs (for example, some single-mode entrants who made a few QSOs on the other mode, which need to be removed from the scoring). But I would not expect any change to those in Trophy or Certificate places.

I am doing a final sanity check, along with formatting them in a reasonably readable fashion. But I will certainly have a copy with me at Gatwick on Saturday and Sunday, so even more reason to be there! They will be posted on the HFCC Web pages a week or two later, once I have made any necessary further adjustments.

My thanks to all who entered and, of course, to all who helped get us to the position where the results are available in such a timely fashion (the latest log came in just yesterday, as it happens - not a new log, of course, but one that had had problems, and we had asked the entrant to fix them). Looks like 1228 logs (compared with 1251 lat year) which, given the diabolical propagation this year, is a reasonable turnout. About 350k QSOs in the database. Checking has been considerably enhanced this year due to a server-based system developed by Marios G0WWW/5B4WN, who has put in a huge amount of effort to automate much of the process (13,000 QSOs with reported errors were still checked by hand before being allowed/disallowed, but this was all done online via a Web'based front-end; the wonders of broadband!). What this tool means is that the checking could be shared around a team in future years, working to a single central server, making the whole task easier and, hopefully, faster.

On another topic, John G3LZQ has done a great job in getting the trophies together for last year's contest and those winners who will be at the Convention will receive their trophies at that time. Others will be mailed, except for some which John is taking to a future GMDX meeting.

CU some of you at Gatwick!

73 Don G3XTT
IOTA Contest Manager