[UK-CONTEST] RSGB and deregulation

Colin G3PSM colin at g3psm.net
Sat Apr 30 07:03:49 EDT 2005

Morning all,

Having just returned from a couple of weeks in warmer climes I find
rather a large number of emails to catch up with, however I will take
this particular subject out of turn.

Firstly, the RSGB are not intent on opposing Ofcom at every juncture,
far from it.   The main problem is that the Ofcom proposals outlined in
Draft 4 of the consultation document for Future Amateur Licencing at the
end of 2004 and which the Society were relatively happy with, changed
dramatically by Draft 11 of February 2005.   The Draft 4 proposals put
forward 4 options -

1)   Complete deregulation
2)   Long term licences (say 10 years)
3)   Lifetime licences
4)   Do nothing

The wording of Draft 4 was such that equal precedence was given to each
option.   The concerns of the Society were that complete deregulation
would mean the end of amateur radio as we all know and love (?).   Ofcom
admitted that the "do nothing" option was in fact not an option as they
are directed under the Communications Act of 2003 "to ease the
regulatory burden".

Draft 11 was blatant in that although the same four options were shown
Ofcom made it known that their "preferred" option was for lifetime
licences irrespective of what "consultations" might take place.

Now while the prospect of lifetime licences may seem ideal, you dont get
'owt for n'owt.   The staff currently dealing with amateur radio matters
are scheduled to return to the DTI by the end of this year and there are
currently no plans to replace them.   The old Radio Investigation
Service, more recently known as the Enforcement Branch has been
decimated with over a 100 employees made redundant in the past few
months.   The research laboratories at Whyteleaf has been closed down
and any research will be contracted out.   The contract with the Radio
Licencing Centre, a subsidiary of the Post Office ended in March, but
because of lack of any replacement licencing structure the contract has
been extended to September 2006.   Ships licencing is currently in a
similar form of flux and will no longer carried out by the Radio
Licencing Centre while aircraft licencing is carried out by the CAA.
This leaves 23 employees at the RLC in Bristol with responsibilities for
annual issuing of 65,000 amateur licences and around 20,000 CB licences.
  This cannot be economically viable and the Post Office with its
current deficits must be aware of this.

The Society can, and is willing to take on amateur radio licencing, but
there is some speculation that this might cause a conflict of interest.
  The Society now carries out the required examinations on behalf of the
regulator and we have recently been asked to provide these examinations
for countries in the Americas, Africa and Asia.   Can we provide these
services together with licencing and be truly representative?   It's a
difficult situation made worse by prevarication within Ofcom.

My apologies to Tom GM4FDM whose email arrived while I was typing this
missive, but I felt a response was necessary before more misinformation
was spread.

73

Colin, G3PSM

--